Valley Vista Neighborhood
How well do you know where you live?
1) Which of the following statements is not true about the expected income for the 2022 budget that was set last year (You can view the June 2022 Financial Statements here)?
A. Annual dues from homeowners are approximately $1.8 million.
B. Annual dues from commercial properties are approximately $707,000.
C. The VCA doesn’t expect any income from violations this year since everyone is expected to follow the rules.
D. Assessments to builders is approximately $114,500.
E. Late fees are expected to be $30,000.
2) Which of the following statements is not true about the expected expenses for the 2022 budget that was set last year (You can view the June 2022 Financial Statements here)?
A. Administrative fees including office lease, legal fees, management fees, salaries and benefits are approximately $767,000.
B. Water utilities fees are approximately $200,000.
C. Electric utilities fees are approximately $52,000.
D. Landscaping is approximately $1.2 million.
E. The VCA doesn’t pay for pet waste removal.
3) Which of the following is true about the budgeted reserve fund expenses in the (You can view the June 2022 Financial Statements here)?
A. Although the VCA will spend almost $1 million dollars this year fixing and replacing things, it won’t have to be done again for another 30 years.
B. Budgeted expenses for drainage is $200,000.
C. Budgeted expenses for repairs and replacement for irrigation systems is approximately $338,800.
D. Budgeted expenses for repairs and replacement for play structures is approximately $143,000.
E. Budgeted Expenses for repairs and replacement for park furniture is approximately $93,500.
4) Oro Valley is home to the 37-acre Tohono Chul Park. Which of these statements is not true?
A. Richard and Jean Wilson started the park in the early 1980’s in the backyard of their house which they thought was haunted.
B. Tohono Chul was named “One of the World’s Ten Best Botanical Gardens” by Travel + Leisure Magazine.
C. They have many different programs among them are Reptile Ramble, Birds of Prey – Night and Day, Butterflies and their Plants, Chillin at the Chul, Yoga in the gardens, and Rock and Ruins.
D. The 49-acre facility has a large gift shop, a bistro, nature trails, gardens, and constantly changing indoor and outdoor art exhibits.
E. Thirty-eight species of birds make their permanent home there while another 57 migrant species visit seasonally.
5) Catalina State Park is literally in our backyard. Which of these statements is not true?
A. The idea for the park originated from opposition to a proposal in the early 1970’s to rezone 4000 acres next to the Catalina mountains for a housing development for 17,000 people.
B. In 1974 House Bill 2280 was introduced to establish Catalina State Park but there was so much contention that at times State Parks staff was sent to the field so they would not be available to testify before the legislative committees.
C. The park has 8 trails, 6 reservable group areas, 120 campsites that have electric, water, and are either tent or RV ready, a visitor center and two gift stores.
D. Catalina State Park has been designated an Important Birding Area (IBA) by the Audubon Society and is part of the Tucson Sky Islands IBA.
E. Although you can bring dogs in the park, horses are not allowed.
1) C is false – income from violations is expected to be about $15,000 in 2022.
2) E is false – the HOA expects to spend $22,000 for pet waste removal in 2022.
3) A is false – Every asset that the VCA owns has an expected lifespan – some assets have long lifespans and others are short. The Reserve Study details the assets, their lifespan, and the current condition of the assets. The Board of Directors uses the Reserve Study to prioritize repairs and replacements and adds this to the budget. Upkeep of VCA assets is an on-going process that will always be included in the yearly budget.
4) A is false – Richard and Jean Wilson opened a bookstore called ‘The Haunted Bookshop’ in the early 1980’s – I do not believe their house is haunted. You can find more information about Tohono Chul Park here.
5) E is false – Catalina State Park has an equestrian center with 17 large pipe corrals of which 4 are partially covered with shade from a large barn. You can find more information about Catalina State Park here.